What is cyberbullying?? Have you ever been cyberbullied?? Have you been a cyberbully?? These are some of the questions asked by high school FCCLA members Tabby Brinkley, Lydia Smith, and Tristin Fitzwater, who recently led informative presentations in the Clearwater Middle School to raise awareness and stop cyberbullying before it starts. Through surveys taken before and after these presentations, junior high students reported an increase in their knowledge regarding cyberbullying as follows:
- 12% of students increased their ability to accurately define cyberbullying.
- 15% of students increased their ability to determine whether or not they had been a victim of cyberbullying.
- 9% of students increased their ability to determine whether or not they had been a cyberbully.
- An increase of 12% of students reported that they would tell an adult if they witnessed someone being cyberbullied for a total of 81% that would choose this method to stop cyberbullying.
- Prior to the presentation, 3% of students said they would ignore cyberbullying. After listening to the presentation, none of the students surveyed said that they would ignore it.
To find out more about cyberbullying, including what you can do, go to https://www.stopbullying.gov/